Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Lessons from Little Ones

Thanksgiving is next week!  Did that statement catch you off guard as much as it did me?  "Forgetting" Thanksgiving is somewhat easy to do.  Just go to a store and check out the huge array of Christmas decorations that have been out since October if you're not quite sure what I mean.  

My toddler is very aware of Christmas this year.  It only took one trip out (last month, might I add) for him to announce to the entire store, "It's CHRISTMAS!"  Now, I love Christmas as much as the next person.  All the Christmas decorating, baking, eggnog, and preparations kind of make me giddy.  If it weren't for my husband, Mr. Grinch (a title that he bears with pride), Christmas music would fill our house right now!  I'm finding Christmas to be especially exciting this year because, for the first time, my son now understands that it's Jesus' birthday.  

It just seems that, in the hubbub of Christmas preparations, our society glides right past Thanksgiving without so much as a second glance.   Or, perhaps it's just me?  Maybe we forget that Thanksgiving is an important holiday too.   It's a time to stop and thank God for the many, many blessings that He has given.  It's a time to dwell on all that God has done and is doing in our lives.  I really want to be a person who appreciates Thanksgiving.  I would love to pass that appreciation on to my children.  

For those of you who do not know me, I'm a very sentimental person.  You know, like the person who has movie ticket stubs from the first date stashed away. Or, the kind of person who keeps band aids from the baby's first shots at the doctors in the baby book because it was the first.  Yes, it's that bad but...  I digress. 

Being so sentimental is perhaps the reason I thrive on creating great memories and making new traditions with my family.  Holidays are the opportune time to do so!  Christmas excitement is being put to the curbside at our house for a little while, though.  I want to stop for a moment and dwell on giving thanks.  

My son love animals and, since turkeys are a well-known symbol this time of year, we made a "thankful turkey."  My little turkey (aka: Wyatt) loved the activity so much that we may do this for many years to come...well, until my boys are too "cool" for such things.  

One of the great perks about being a mother are the many lessons that God presents through the form of our children.   Who would have thought that God would have something to teach me while doing a craft with my son?

Growing up, my family had a tradition of each person sharing one thing they were thankful for before we ate our Thanksgiving meal.  I had a love/hate relationship with that tradition because I would sit and try to think of something profound to share.  One person would start and and my mind would race.  What was I thankful for?!  Am I the only one that ever felt that moment of panic?  Maybe.  Still, sad as it may be, it's true.  

That memory came to mind while Wyatt and I worked together.  For each turkey feather, I asked him to tell me what he is thankful for.  Keep in mind that Wyatt is three.  He has no inhibitions or desires to impress.  

"Wyatt, what is something that you want to thank God for today?"

I watched as his little brow wrinkled in intense thought.  

"Umm... for Thomas the Train.  And birthday cake too!"

I stifled a giggle.  "That's silly," I thought, as my pen glided across the colorful, paper feather.

Is it, though?   I paused.   I mean, what's wrong with being thankful for Thomas the Train and birthday cake?  Those are two things that he loves right now.  With each feather, Wyatt would think of something else.  With each thing he named, my smile grew bigger.  It was a joy to listen to his little heart.  

God used my son to gently remind me to be thankful for everything. It doesn't have to be profound.  It can be as simple as finding a great parking spot, that piece of chocolate from the trick-or-treat bag (don't tell on me), or the time spent making something as simple as a paper turkey.

What are you thankful for today?

"...always giving thanks to God the Father for everything, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ."
Ephesians 5:20

HAPPY THANKSGIVING, LADIES!

13 comments:

  1. Thanks Ashley for your insight and to get to see your heart and your sentimental side. Thanks for helping us all to be able to see the simple things and be thankful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank YOU Ashley for the incredible reminder to be thankful to God our Father for every thing HE gives us......even what we deem small stuff! I am extremely grateful for the big things......Jesus, our Savior, a wonderful husband, children who love the Lord, christian friends, a job, a house.....I could go on forever. But, God cares about the small stuff in our lives, too, because He loves us more than we can imagine. I am going to look for the little things to thank my Lord for and not let them just go by unnoticed. Lord, give me a constant attitude of thankfulness and show me ALL the ways you provide for me every day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Isn't it amazing how children help us appreciate those small things that we take for granted?! Love it. He seems to notice everything while I've got my head down charging the world with my "to do list" - thanks to all the children in our lives. Ann, you do an AWESOME job in nursery! The kids love you! Thanks for taking care of them each week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jean, Ann, & Mom,

    You are each special women. I was happy to share my "lesson for the day." :) I love how you put it, Ann: "God cares about the small stuff in our lives, too, because He loves us more than we can imagine."

    ReplyDelete
  5. sitting with beautiful ladies

    ReplyDelete
  6. I want to thank you all for our wonderful wednesday night classes
    Together!! You all have lifted me up and helped me be strong!!
    I can't wait till we meet again!! I hope you all have a wonderful
    Thanksgiving!


    Love you all

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was thinking about the verse in Psalm 3:3 that Gail shared with us last night: But you, LORD, are a shield around me, my glory, the One who lifts my head high.
    God reminded me that when I look down and at all the yucky circumstances that take place on this earth, then my eyes are not focused on Him. When I let Him lift my head high, He is my focus.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ashley, thanks so much for sharing this. Children do teach us a lot of how we should live life.

    About 3 years ago I started making it a "habit" to say thanks for any and everything that came to mind. All of the small stuff, because life happens in the small stuff. It really does change your thinking when you stop and say thanks for something as "small" as the squirrel in your yard rushing around frantically or the perfect parking spot or the ability to take another breath. I encourage everyone to make it your new goal in life.

    Thanks again for posting Ashley!

    ReplyDelete